Friday, October 30, 2015

Hiking, Biking and Picking

About a year ago, some good friends got married in Kent, CT-- a beautiful place-- but I was feeling so sick still that we were unable to attend.  Making good on a promise to take me back to Kent, we seized a free Friday afternoon last week and had a little day trip.


The best part about Kent (for me) is that it is where the Appalachian Trail cuts into Connecticut for a small stretch.  So I got to get my Appalachian on (always grand!) and I got one state closer to my goal of hiking at least a portion of the AT in every state it touches.


The leaves certainly enhanced the experience!




After our short stint on the AT, we stopped into town for soup, herbal tea, and chocolate (lunch of legit chilly weather hikers, of course) and we continued our trekking at Kent Falls State Park.  We will definitely come here again!






Last week we also went to our hot spot, Lyman Orchards, and picked apples and pears.  The pears were extra fun because only the tippy-top ones were left, which meant a little tree climbing!



And we also won't forget this fun event we attended on the new section of the Q Bridge in New Haven about a month ago.  The city had a party on the bridge as a celebration before it opened to traffic.  We had a great morning, taking our bikes onto the train with us to New Haven and then biking to the bridge and to the New Haven farmer's market for lunch.  Unique day!  We drove over this section of the bridge in our car just the other day and I had to give a little cheer and a boast that I had biked there :)



P.S.

We had a great afternoon with the YSA Branchies this weekend at the corn maze and picking some more apples!








Photos by our very own Matthew Marshall.

No comments:

Post a Comment